Boom 31 Spring

Old 05-06-2024, 02:24 AM

Love your Swoon quilt SBG! I would love to be part of a sew a long, I wish that there was group projects like there was in the past. I am grateful that we still have our Boom swaps with so many wonderful members!

Woke up very early this morning, it's 75* and very humid. We are planning to head back to Wisconsin on Wednesday for the summer. We haven't told the cat yet...she will not be pleased spending two days on the road!
Old 05-06-2024, 02:42 AM

Cheesehead, Roflol! “Haven’t told the cat yet”! I also miss those QAL’s and exchanges. The board really took a hit with membership when the format changed some years back, in my opinion. I’m happy to keep the booms going for the foreseeable future.

SBG, thanks for posting the pic of your Swoon Quilt. I also did mine in candy squares. I’m thinking about meandering mine but I’m so bad at it. I need to practice more before I try. Honestly, I’ve just got it in my head that it’s got to be “perfect”. I rarely make allowances for the learning curve for myself. It stops me from trying. I think I’ll push through it this time and just meander regardless of the outcome. Here’s a link to Givio’s that you quilted. Beautiful! https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...3-img_2009.jpg

Had a lovely dinner at the grands’ house. Right before we left, we discovered the youngest had what appeared to be hives! Painful and itchy patches all over her bottom! none of us could figure out what triggered it. She was mighty uncomfortable and getting understandably cranky. Poor girl!

Hope everyone has a nice week!

Last edited by Janice McC; 05-06-2024 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:05 AM

Janice and Cheesehead, I also miss the sew-a-longs. I took the time long ago to chase down all of the "Mystery Train" threads by Paintmejudy. I saved them all on my laptop. So glad I did. Some were quilts others table runners, but there are two or three that I go back to. I haven't seen here name in a very long time. But I am continually glad I have the directions, photos and links to the threads she hosted. Time to search her name on the Board.

A nice little trip down memory lane, you two.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-06-2024 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Sewbiz- I LOVE that quilt! And your quilting is wonderful!
Terri- hope you feel better.
Linda- your cat is hilarious! Love the pic.
LStew- wonderful family photo. Thanks for sharing!

Things are settling down here with my hubby. It's been a crazy time but that's life. Someone is always going through something, right? He's an avid gardener and we've been doing lots of planting, cleanup etc. Our neighbors are amazing. Always helping out when they see a need. And they see he can use a hand. He does the same for them. It's so wonderful that people care. Our boys have been a huge help. I think it's hard for them though, seeing their Dad having these issues. As I've said before Paul is always on the go and he's realizing he needs to pace himself more these days. He's doing a good job of that.
Saturday I worked on my candies quilt for a bit but other than that no sewing. I need to get back to it. I've been really stressed and sewing helps a lot.
Hugs to all!
Old 05-06-2024, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Lol, THIS group is a "sewalong". We sew, we share what we have sewn, we chat. Maybe we need to think of some ideas for other sewalongs that can be done at any time of the year. We could always do a Swoon Redux. Or... what else? Put your thinking caps on!

Givio's Swoon is beautiful. She had such a great eye. That particular quilt was for her son's best friend as a wedding gift. Even in her last days she was thinking of all the quilts she made to gift, but didn't get to finish. She wanted her sons, DILs and grands all to have one of her quilts. That's why it was important to me to see them finished.

Janice, sorry the baby had hives. Some children's Benedryl might help. Perhaps it was something she ate? I am a fellow hives sufferer (uticaria) so I know the misery. Hope she's better now.

Sue, glad your hubby is feeling better and well enough to get outside and do a few things he loves.

Cheese, have a safe "move" back to Wisconsin. You are getting out of the South just in time to beat the heat. It's already starting to get warm down here. Hope the poor kitty travels well.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:14 AM

Sewbiz, I loved doing the scrappy Hunters Star swap some years ago. Mine was made into a crib quilt for one of my great-grandsons. He's 6 now and he still uses it. I think he's going to need a larger one . Sure wish someone would host another swap of them.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:19 AM

Love the Swoons, so bright and colorful.

Cheesehead poor kitty. Have been there and done it, was a very loud and miserable few days

My hubby has chronic hives and has to take an antihistamine daily. He went through the allergy testing and they never found the culprit. Hopefully this was a one time occurrence for your little granddaughter Janice.

Still dealing with this nasty cold that my bug turned into. My get up and go went out the window. Just wandering from my chair to my bed.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:36 PM

One more squeezed in this afternoon for Logcabin82. Parrots in the corner of a cabin. Tee-Hee-Hee
Attached Thumbnails 2024-05-06-logcabin.jpg  
Old 05-06-2024, 05:01 PM

I think a redo of a previous sew-a-long would be grand. So many new folks. I am thinking back 10 years. I didn't join any of the sew-a-longs only lots of monthly swaps. Perhaps we might get some of the Birthday Swappers to join in the large Swoon block. Put me in the I would seriously think about it column right after I get back from the trip to Hawaii from the suggested Boom Retreat. I really like the motivation of sew-a-longs. It is fun to sew with friends. That is how I got my Harriet's Journey quilt done! Weekly goals, post photos and then on to the next week.
Attached Thumbnails 2021-12-13-harrietts-journey-top-finished.jpg  
Old 05-06-2024, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

Your Harriet’s Journey is gorgeous, WMUT! And that’s a cool parrot block. I wish I was still making Boom blocks.

What I love about a sewalong, versus a swap, is that you don’t have to mail anything. Sharing progress by posting photos is a huge motivation.

Libster, you could lead a scrappy Hunter’s Star sewalong. Just contact PatriceJ and start a thread.

The last block swap I did, excluding the Booms, was house blocks. It was with a group I found on Facebook. I got nice blocks, but I had taken pains to make special cute houses and wonky houses, and I concluded I would have been happier keeping my own blocks rather than swapping.
I had wanted to do something special for my realtor friend who sold me the Memphis house a few years ago, so I gave her the finished houses quilt. She was so tickled!